Saturday 30 April 2011

Royal Wedding

Ok, I admit it.  I ended up watching the Royal Wedding.  After all, I did get the day off for it.  I turned the TV on just as all the action was heating up and then I ended up getting hooked.  At least it looked like the happy couple were enjoying themselves and actually care about each other (the groom’s family doesn’t have the best track record here).  I did get a kick out of the “for richer, for poorer” part of the vows.  I’m guessing that these guys won’t have to worry too much about delaying the car payment so that they can make the mortgage payment.
It all got me thinking about my own wedding and all of the many others I’ve been to over the last 30 or so years.  I can remember very little about the bride’s dress or what her colors were, despite all of the money and efforts devoted here.  However, I can remember where most of the ceremonies and receptions were.  Most of all, I can remember the food and especially the cake.  My stomach can clearly remember to this day, the best food was the Castle wedding and the best cake was the Kaplan wedding – an incredible chocolate cake with white chocolate frosting (honorable mention to the Isensee Frango cake).  I have a difficult time imagining the reception food being better for the Royal Wedding.  As I have heard on several occasions – all of the cooks in hell are English.  The booze was probably better though, and more plentiful.
For those of you paying attention when Will and Kate left Buckingham Palace in the old Aston Martin convertible, you may have noticed a red on white “L” on the front of the car.  This is the scarlet letter given to those learning to drive in the UK.  In this case, I assume there was another deeper meaning.  [Guernsey uses the L and also has a black on yellow H for “hire” (rental) car.]


On Guernsey, you could tell that something was happening on Friday (other than a day off) as many people had UK or English flags on display to brighten up an otherwise gray day.
On a personal note, the Middleton (bride’s) family camped out at the Goring – a wonderful, old family run hotel just behind Buckingham Palace.  I have stayed there on many occasions and thoroughly enjoyed the “royal” service.  However, I think I may have been staying in the servant’s quarters compared to what the rooms they stayed in must be like.
In case you're curious...

http://www.thegoring.com/

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't realized it but I was actually curious for that Goring traveling tidbit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you watched it. That's too funny!

    ReplyDelete