Friday 13 May 2011

The Coach House

The place where I am currently living is called The Coach House.  It’s common here for buildings to have names instead of house numbers, but both do exist.  [More on this later.] 

I have two floors above a garage.  Unfortunately, the landlord has the garage.  I’m in a part of town that has some nice views over the harbor and the castle.  I have a nice view of my neighbors.
The lower floor has a kitchen/dining area, a lounge (living room), and a small bedroom.  The kitchen has some very small appliances – a stove, a dishwasher, a refrigerator, a separate freezer, and a washer/dryer.  Since the place is furnished, the kitchen came well stocked with gadgets, including quite a few things that I can only guess at what they’re for.

The upper floor has a bathroom and a larger bedroom.  The bathroom actually has both a bath tub and a separate shower stall.  Unfortunately, I can’t stand up straight in the shower and I don’t dare drop anything.

The place is heated by hot water circulating in radiators from a small boiler in the kitchen.  The temperature is hard to regulate since the heat is either on or off.  Now, I’m starting to wonder if the place will be too hot if it gets warm in the summer (even with the heat off).  I’m counting on the constant wind and abundant windows on the upper floor to provide natural air conditioning.

Overall the place is older looking on the outside, but fairly modern on the inside.  The front door uses a skeleton key to lock from the inside or outside.  If you don’t know what a skeleton key is, I suggest asking your oldest living relative.

1 comment:

  1. Can you not see the bay and the castle over your neighbors' buildings? It looks like a very nice place but it must be hard not to be able to stand up straight in the shower.

    ReplyDelete